After runs or intense workouts, I like to do the following for recovery:
1) Use my foam roller. It's great for my muscles and for breaking up scar tissue.
2) Stretch. I make sure to get my hip flexors, quads and hamstrings
3) Make a smoothie. I don't do this every time, but I wish I did it more often.
4 )Ice. I put a bag of frozen peas on my sore spots for ten minutes.
Today, since I had time, I made a fantastic recovery smoothie. I'm calling it the Chocolate Banana Cherry Recovery Smoothie.
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- 1 gross, almost-rotten banana
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk (although any milk will do)
- 1/2 cup tart cherry juice
For my protein powder, I used Pure Protein. I haven't tried many chocolate protein powders, but I like the taste of this stuff.
While icing, I drank my smoothie in my Tervis Tumbler that Foodbuzz sent me from the Tastermakers Program. I got it in the mail last week, and I am not kidding when I say that I have been drinking everything from it. Ask my parents if you don't believe me. I love this glass.
Tervis tumblers are virtually indestructible - they won't crack, melt, shatter, or chip, and they come with a lifetime guarantee. Even better, their double-wall insulation means hot drinks stay hot, cold drinks stay cold, and your furniture stays clear of those annoying condensation rings!
I haven't tried to smash it (haven't gotten angry enough, I guess), but I do believe that it would be hard to break. It looks like it's only for cold drinks, but I like how I can also put something hot in it and won't burn my hand off. I'll have to give it a shot in the winter.
Thanks Tervis and Foodbuzz!
Now, I'm off to a friend's house to watch the Blackhawks game. Have a great Saturday night!